Our History


On the seventeenth day of May,1875, twenty-seven families, most of whom had originated in the area of Ostfriesland, Germany, organized a congregation, known as Trinity Evangelical Church. On December 13, 1877, a new church was erected on the lot just east of the present building. The church was built under the supervision of Wilhelm Gronewold. A parochial school was established in 1879 in a frame building which had been donated by Gerd Ihnen. In September 1882 two church bells were installed. Their estimated weight was 2700 pounds. They were called "Gloria: and Concordia" and were tuned to the keys of E and G. The cost of these bells was $793.00. These bells are still being used in our present church.


In January 1880, Pastor Hugo Dorow was called as pastor. In 1887, the congregation numbered 70 families, and grew to about 100 families by 1900, the Silver Jubilee year at Trinity.

The congregation added a cemetery on the southwest edge of Golden in January, 1902. On December 20, 1953, approximately eleven acres of land on the northwest edge of Golden was purchased and dedicated as the Golden Memorial Gardens. 

After a period of illness, Pastor Dorow resigned, and Pastor J.R. Frenzel was called on August 10, 1925. This marked the beginning of English worship services on Sunday evenings.  


For many years, the members of our Congregation had been seriously considering how to remedy the housing difficulties for the increasing members in our church services and school. On January 11, 1953, it was voted to start construction on a new church, and ground was broken on March 21, 1953. After a Volunteer Labor Committee was formed, everyone was given an opportunity to help with the construction of the project. On September 19, 1954 the cornerstone was laid with the documents pertaining to the history of the church. The seating capacity is 540 with 100 more for overflow in the narthex and classrooms. The full basement consists of the Fellowship Hall, classrooms, storage rooms, restrooms, kitchen, offices and the heating system. The heating system has been upgraded so the church is now heated and cooled by a geothermal system. 

Today, Trinity Evangelical Church of Golden, Illinois is associated with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC).