Our Story

A Brief History of Trinity Lutheran Church

TRINITY’S FIRST CHURCH IS BUILT...

On the Seventeenth day of May, 1875, a twenty-seven families, most of whom had originated in the area of Ostfriesland, Germany, organized a congregation, known as Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. On December 13, 1877, a new church was erected on the lot just east of the present building. The church was built under the supervision of Wilhelm Gronewold. A parochial school was established in 1879 in a frame building which had been donated by Gerd Ihnen.

In September, 1882 two church bells were installed. Their estimated weight was 2700 pounds. They were called “Gloria: and “Concordia” and were tuned to the keys of E and G. The cost of these bells was $793.00. These bells are still being used in our present church.

AS THE PARISH GROWS

January, 1880, Pastor Hugo Dorow was called as pastor. In 1887, the congregation numbered 70 families, and grew to about 100 families by 1900, the Silver Jubilee year of Trinity.

The congregation added a cemetery plot in January 1902. On Dec, 20, 1953 approximately eleven acres of land on the northwest edge of Golden was purchased and dedicated as the Golden Memorial Gardens.

After a period of illness, Pastor Dorow resigned and Pastor J. R. Frenzel was called on August 10, 1925. This marked the beginning of English worship services on Sunday evenings. A new Parish Hall was built in 1927.

A NEW CHURCH BUILDING IS CONTRUCTED

For many years the members of our Congregation had been seriously considering how to remedy the housing difficulties for the increasing members in our church services and church school. On January 11, 1953, it was voted to start construction on a new church and ground was broken on March 21st of the same year. After a Volunteer Labor Committee was formed, everyone was given an opportunity to help with the construction of the project. On September 19, 1954 the cornerstone was laid with the documents pertaining to the history of the church. The seating capacity is 540 with 100 or more for overflow in the narthex and classrooms. The full basement consists of the Fellowship Hall, classrooms, storage rooms, restrooms, kitchen, offices and also the heating system. The heating system has been upgraded so the church now is heated and cooled by a geothermal system.

Today Trinity Lutheran, Golden is a congregation of the “Central/Southern Illinois Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.        


Children of Trinity 1953.


Laying the Cornerstone 1953.

 

 

Contents © 2020 Trinity Lutheran Church, Golden, IL • Church Website Builder by mychurchwebsite.netPrivacy Policy