Our History



On the Seventeenth day of May, 1875, a twenty-seven families, most of whom had originated in the area of Ostfriesland, Germany, organized a congregation, known as Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. On December 13, 1877, a new church was erected on the lot just east of the present building. The church was built under the supervision of Wilhelm Gronewold. A parochial school was established in 1879 in a frame building which had been donated by Gerd Ihnen.

In September, 1882 two church bells were installed. Their estimated weight was 2700 pounds. They were called “Gloria: and “Concordia” and were tuned to the keys of E and G. The cost of these bells was $793.00. These bells are still being used in our present church.



In January, 1880, Pastor Hugo Dorow was called as pastor. In 1887, the congregation numbered 70 families, and grew to about 100 families by 1900, the Silver Jubilee year of Trinity.

The congregation added a cemetery plot in January 1902. On Dec, 20, 1953 approximately eleven acres of land on the northwest edge of Golden was purchased and dedicated as the Golden Memorial Gardens.

After a period of illness, Pastor Dorow resigned and Pastor J. R. Frenzel was called on August 10, 1925. This marked the beginning of English worship services on Sunday evenings. A new Parish Hall was built in 1927.




For many years the members of our Congregation had been seriously considering how to remedy the housing difficulties for the increasing members in our church services and church school. On January 11, 1953, it was voted to start construction on a new church and ground was broken on March 21st of the same year. After a Volunteer Labor Committee was formed, everyone was given an opportunity to help with the construction of the project. On September 19, 1954 the cornerstone was laid with the documents pertaining to the history of the church. The seating capacity is 540 with 100 or more for overflow in the narthex and classrooms. The full basement consists of the Fellowship Hall, classrooms, storage rooms, restrooms, kitchen, offices and also the heating system. The heating system has been upgraded so the church now is heated and cooled by a geothermal system.


Today Trinity Lutheran, Golden is associated with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC).